Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Almost time for my clutch replacement. . . ACT questions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I have the ACT HDSS right now, and I'm very happy with both the grab and the pedal feel. I've had problems with it though, the same problems that I've had with the ACT HDSS on 2 previous vehicles. One, the throw-out bearing goes bad and a whine develops when engaging the clutch in 1st/2nd. Two, the engagement point seems a lot lower now? Is that a pedal adjustment problem?

    Despite the problems though, I think I'm going to buy an ACT HDSS again. How can I avoid this problem in the future? What do I tell the installer? I was on the Exedy (Daiken) website the other day, and I think it suggested that the source of the problem was an incorrectly (backwards) installed throw-out bearing. Could this be correct? Can I get away with just purchasing the disc and the throw-out bearing this time? I'm trying to keep costs down.

    Also, I plan on finally taking the step and getting a Quaife. Are there bearings that need to be replaced at the same time? I'm having my mechanic do all of this, and I just wanted to have all the parts ready for him. BTW, my Fidanza flywheel, which has been sitting around for months, should go in at the same time. Should be pretty fun when it all comes together. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Just to be complete, I've considered Exedy. My friend has one on his turbo Type-R. The plusses are that it's inexpensive and does feel like stock. Minus - it doesn't hold that much power, wears out quickly, and it doesn't come recommended for FI vehicles. Clutchmasters plusses - holds all the power. Minus - expensive.

    Any and all input would be appreciated.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 10, 2005 08:26 PM: Message edited by: 217gsr ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member CivicR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 1999
    Posts
    901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have the same whine on my ACT clutch from the very first day I installed it. What I was going to try was a Honda throw out bearing from the dealer instead of the one that came with the ACT clutch kit.

    John

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    John is correct... try a stock Honda/Acura throw-out bearing. Additional pedal effort will increase the stresses on the bearing, so it will wear out faster than normal.
    Also, as long as you have not damaged the surface of the pressure plate, you can simply buy another "SS" clutch disc, throw-out and pilot bearings (I do not suggest you remove the one in the stock flywheel and transfer it over to your new Fidanza flywheel).

    As for the necessary parts for your Quaife install... you will need a new pair of diff bearings. Unfortunately, there are two different types and one wouldn't know which one necessarily until the trans is actually cracked open to expose them. Also, chances are very good that you will also need a different preload thrust shim... which will also have to be measured at the time that the Quaife is actually being installed.

    A quality high-end shop that is versed in Quaife installation will have a pair of either bearings and EVERY available thrust shim on the shelf so that the installation can be done in a single day... (I keep all of the above mentioned parts in stock... too bad your so far away. heheheh)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim, when you say that the bearing will wear out faster than normal, are you talking about when using a stock honda throw-out bearing or are you talking about the one that comes with the ACT clutch?

    It sounds like the install should be done at a speedshop then, instead of giving it to my mechanic to do. I'm wary about going to speedshops in this area.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member CivicR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 1999
    Posts
    901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Im am pretty sure Jim is saying to use an OEM throw out bearing from Honda, not the aftermarket one that comes with the ACT clutch kit.

    John

  6. #6
    Inactive Member GreddyTurboSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    NO what Jim is trying to say is that the aftermarket TO bearings are crap and that a pressure plate that has been "worked" or made with increased pressure will wear out the TO bearing faster due to the load the bearing is subjected to. Sorry Jim [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    That's kinda what I thought he was saying. Can we have confirmation, Jim? So being that the Honda TO bearing is better made, we are expecting that bearing failure due to the increased pressure will be less of a problem. Am I jumping to the correct conclusion? Thanks.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, the increased diaphragm pressures exerted on the throw-out bearing surface reduce its effective lifespan dramatically. It is my experience that a stock Honda/Acura TOB will operate longer before the noise that you describe creeps in.

    Aaahh, the prices we pay for increased performance...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •